A few weeks ago I got the amazing chance to attend the 2015/2016 Omaha Performing Arts Season Announcement Party! I was excited to hear what Broadway plays, musicals, and more were going to be coming to the area. What I didn’t know I was going to be excited about were the sneak peek performances we got by members of the casts of some of those upcoming shows!!
UPDATE: In addition to the shows below, the following shows have been added to the 2015/2016 Omaha Performing Arts Series: Wild Kratts – Live!, Engelbert Humperdink, An Afternoon with Garrison Keillor, and The Brubeck Brothers Jazz Quartet Tribute to Dave Brubeck.
The 2015/2016 Omaha Performing Arts Series features some unbelievable events that you are not going to want to miss. Plus, it’s the 10th Anniversary of the Omaha Performing Arts organization so you bet this year will be full of awesomeness. Including the Celebrate 10 Gala starring Kristin Chenoweth on Friday, October 16th, 2015!
The Omaha Performing Arts 2015/2016 Broadway Series presented with Broadway Across America has five productions.
- KINKY BOOTS October 20-25, 2015
- DIRTY DANCING (the adaptation of the iconic love story) November 17-22, 2015.
- Disney’s NEWSIES February 16-21, 2016
- RODGERS + HAMMERSTEIN’S CINDERELLA March 15-20, 2016.
- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Cameron Mackintosh’s spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s) April 20 through May 1, 2016.
- THE WIZARD OF OZ December 8-13, 2015
- THE BOOK OF MORMON May 31 through June 5, 2016
Did you know that Broadway Series subscribers are automatically entered for a chance to win a trip for two to New York City July 16-19, 2015?! That’s right! Two winners will receive a Broadway show-seeing spree, with expenses paid for airfare, lodging and show tickets. For more information, go online to omaha.broadway.com/sweepstakes.
The 2015/2016 Jazz Series features jazz legends and a rising star vocalist.
- Ramsey Lewis Electric Band and special guest vocalist and percussionist Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind & Fire perform a collection of jazz and R&B hits including “September” and “Sun Goddess” on November 13, 2015.
- NPR Music’s “next great jazz singer” Gregory Porter, winner of the 2014 Grammy Award ® for Best Jazz Vocal Album, will perform February 4, 2016.
- Legendary singer Dee Dee Bridgewater teams up with Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra on March 12, 2016 for a 10th anniversary concert paying tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
- Shaping Sound: Dance Reimagined (mash-up of dance styles and musical geners brought to life by contemporary dancers) November 5, 2015
- The Moscow Festival Ballet Performs Tchaikovsky’s The Sleeping Beauty on January 23, 2016.
- Dance Theatre of Harlem (innovative and bold new forms of artistic expression) February 25, 2016.
- Cirque Mechanics Pedal Punk (a steampunk-inspired American circus show featuring bikes) November 12, 2015.
- Mummenschanz: The Musicians of Silence on February 27, 2016.
- The third show in the season will be announced soon!
- A Celtic Tenors Christmas December 2, 2015.
- See Jane Sing with Jane Lynch February 28, 2016.
- Under the Streetlamp (a modern day Rat Pack) will perform at the Holland Center on May 19, 2016
The 2015/2016 National Geographic Live Series features three exciting speakers and many stunning images.
- On The Trail of Big Cats with Steve Winter February 2, 2016
- Untamed Wild with Cory Richards March 8, 2016.
- The Search for Life Beyond Earth with Kevin Hand April 12, 2016.
- Cyrus Chestnut Trio: A Jazzy Christmas December 2, 2015
- Shemekia Copeland January 30, 2016.
- French jazz singer Cyrille Aimée March 5, 2016.
- Ester Rada (cross-cultural sound that blends Ethio-jazz and urban funk) April 29, 2016.
- James Tormé Celebrates The Greats (charismatic son of jazz legend Mel Tormé) May 6, 2016
- Kevin Eubanks May 20, 2016.
The Omaha Performing Arts’ 2015/2016 Special performances can be added to any Season Ticket package with most performances offering a savings of up to 15%.
- One Man Breaking Bad: The Unauthorized Parody October 22 and 23, 2015.
- Vienna Boys Choir: Christmas in Vienna November 19, 2015
- Blaze will be at the Orpheum Theater March 3, 2016
- Americana, Mark Twain Tonight! with Hal Holbrook April 8, 2016.
- The PBS Kids favorite Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood LIVE! will be live on stage Wednesday, April 13, 2016.
- Ballet Folklorico “Quetzalli” de Veracruz April 14, 2016.